We all go a little crazy sometimes.
Teen Wolf AU → After Allison’s death, Lydia goes a little insane.
Shepherd’s Pie from Empty Nest Two Plates Full:
For the Topping:
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and quartered
- Kosher salt
- 4 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbs. fresh chives, chopped
- freshly ground pepper
For the Filling:
- 4 strips thick-cut applewood-smoked bacon, diced
- 2 lbs ground beef chuck
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms,finely chopped, about 2 cups
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 3 Tbs. tomato paste
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
1. Prepare the topping: Put the potatoes and turnips in a large pot and cover with cold water; season with salt. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 25 minutes; drain, reserving the pot.
2. Meanwhile, make the filling; Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain all but 1 Tbs. of the fat; add the beef to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 4 minutes. Add the onion, carrots, and celery and cook, stirring, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms, thyme and tomato paste and cook, stirring occasionally, until incorporated, about 3 minutes.
3. Stir the flour into the vegetables until incorporated, about 2 minutes. Add the broth, Worcestershire sauce, 3/4 tsp. salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cook until slightly thickened, about 3 more minutes. Stir in the parsley.
4. Preheat the oven to 375. Finish the topping: Combine the butter and milk in the reserved pot and cook over medium heat until the butter is melted. Return the potatoes and turnips to the pot and mash with a potato masher until smooth. Stir in parmesan and chives and season with salt and pepper.
5. Transfer the filling to a 2 1/2-quart baking dish and cover with the topping, spreading evenly. Bake until the topping is golden, about 35 minutes. Let rest 15 minutes before serving.